Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pioneer?

Welcome... I'm not sure where this is headed but let's start here. I once had someone refer to me as being a "pioneer". The manner in which she referred to the word pioneer didn't rub me the right way. At that point, I was thinking that I was taking advantage of a way to fulfill the overachiever in me. I still feel that way.

Maybe I should first explain that I'm an online learner with Capella University. By pursuing an online degree, I can take care of my family, have a career, and pursue my dreams. I don't think of myself as a pioneer. That title belongs to those lone soles who embraced online learning 10 or more years ago, when I was too timid to step out in what I thought were fragile waters. Today I consider it a norm. To be more specific, it's a way to capture that Howard Gardner population that have been shunned by traditional universities.

Overall, I imagine that part of why I find my program so fulfilling is the level of experience and variety of learners I have encountered. I'm in a doctoral program, so this is easy to understand. However, what I find different from being a land-based learner is that I am always accountable. I can't sit in the back of the "class" and rest on the laurels of other learners. My voice is always required and always heard. Online learning is different. The work is actually harder, but I don't consider myself a pioneer.

Needless to say, I write in a rather long winded manner, but I'm interested to know what other learners feel about this word, pioneer? Am I being hypersensitive? Without extending too much detail, who's biased, me or the person who made the statement?

I look forward to hearing from you!

7 comments:

Kimbra said...

Hello,
I do consider myself a pioneer. I am a Capella Alumnus. I started Capella in 2000 and obtained my doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology in 2/05. However, let me just say that in the true sense of the word "pioneer", comes the trials and strifes that one must endure in order to blaze that trail for others. I believe I am doing this! You see, in the world of psychology, as a scholar-practitioner, not coming from an APA accredited school, which Capella/Harold Able School of Psychology is not, is a slow and painful death. I cannot get licensed in my state where I have lived for 17 years, and I am in the throes of searching for psychologist positions in other states that do not require APA in their requirements. While there are over 15 states that do not require APA, many psychology positions even in those states have this as one of their requirements.
It reminds me of the pioneers who traveled in their covered wagons across the plaines in search for land to call their own; and who struggle against the harshness of the wilderness with the wind, rain, and rough terraine. Some made it and prospered, while others died looking for their "pot of gold". Yet, there were still others that settled; and perhaps they did not find their dream land to call their own, but they sure had stories to tell their grandchildren! I can hear me now, "I never was able to get licensed as a psychologist, but I sure did get my Ph.D.!!" Pioneer? You better believe it.
Kimbra

calston said...

Hi Kimbra,
It's interesting that you mention the covered wagons blazing across unknown trails because that's how I feel at times. I've had my fair share of bumps and bruises as well. At times I feel I've traded convenience for job security. Sure I was able to take care of my family and keep my job, but with good there comes some bad. I believe the risk of not obtaining licensure is the sacrifice (or equivocal struggle).

If you're near Virginia, they allow psychologists from non-APA accredited programs to "prove" their schooling was equal to that of APA standards.

I wish you well and I hope that your struggle and sacrifices pay off in the end. I don't know about a pot of gold at the end, but I'm sure we'd both settle for a license with a billable provider number on it!

Thanks for responding! I was beginning to think that this post would die a lonely death! LOL

Chevette

Pat said...

I tend to equate the word "pioneer" with "trailblazer"...forging a path where there had been none before. I just recently graduated with a Masters of Science degree in Addiction Psychology from Capella/Harold Abel School of Psychology and I find myself attempting to blaze a trail in locating a position where I can obtain my clinical hours toward addiction certification or licensure plus looking for ways to make current addiction treatment facilities more accessible to the Deaf Community. Right now, I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall in both arenas.

Pat

Pat said...

P.S. I'm trying to obtain these goals in Maryland so going to Virginia may not be helpful given that Maryland does not reciprocate with any other states.

Pat

calston said...

I think that's what makes us "pioneers". There is great risk in the path we've taken. I've heard more horror stories than I have success stories, but that doesn't mean it will be a vain effort for all of us. Kimbra talked about early "pioneers" and how not all of them made it. It's a great allegory. That's why I put the Roosevelt quote beside the original blog.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of us are martyrs. I believe it is our digression from the norm that makes us "unacceptable". Unfortunately, a LOT of good clinicians are being passed over because some aspects of society are afraid of change.

Chevette

Unknown said...

Hi Kimbra,

Two years ago, I considered myself a Track I Dummy. Today, I too can say I am a Capella Pioneer. With five courses to go before comps and dissertation, I believe we have gained the title of Pioneer. Some day soon, we'll be able to trade "that" name for the title, "Doctor of Education". Be proud. :)

Michelle said...

Hi,

I found this site while doing some research before pursuing a PhD in Clinical Psychology at Capella University. After reading your posts, I see that it is extremely difficult to obtain a license after graduation since the school is not APA accredited. Have any of you had any luck since? Would you recommend that I do not pursue a degree at Capella? Thanks for any additional input!